1957 Vibrolux

This is the 1957 Fender Vibrolux amp that was featured in my “Vintage Capacitors” Shop Update post. In the post I talked about how the amp didn’t sound very good and needed a cap job. Well after I got into the amp I found out that every single capacitor needed to be replaced. The “best” coupling cap was passing about 95v DC! Some were passing close to 200v DC. I also replaced the selenium rectifier with a silicone type. The old selenium rectifiers have a tendency to catch fire. Of course the old 2-prong AC cord had to go and be replaced with a 3-prong grounded type. Check the before and after photos below. Now the amp sounds really nice and the tremolo is awesome. The owner is going to be very happy with this little gem!



Bad parts…